I don’t know how you like them (steamed, melted herbed butter with fresh squeezed lemon juice) but for me the essential ingredient is the mussel which should be fresh and lightly cooked so that the fat orange flesh fills the shell.
Mmm… good eats.
Anyway TMC and I have been on kind of a serial mussel quest where at least one of us will order them as either a main course or an appetizer when we eat at a restaurant that serves them. What? It surprises you that living on the East Coast as we do we occasionally get together for a “working dinner” that we can write off against the vast profits our little bloggy empire generates? Oh, it surprises you we have profits. Well, I was lying about that. I’m only interested in the art and I have the bloody earhole to prove it (I’ll need some more Orpiment Theo, the light is perfect).
You can’t take me anywhere though because outside of the vaguely disreputable and repellent air that I cultivate as seriously as any other poet, I like to play restaurant games.
In this particular case we were outside on the deck of our newly discovered mussel shack watching the summertime promenade of perfectly ordinary, unsuspecting individuals pass. Besides the harbor we had a view of a pocket park the chief point of interest of which was an installation of unique chairs and benches that didn’t look like chairs and benches. The statue of Baal being recently in the news I noted the chair pictured.
Soon enough the trap was set as a young mother and innocent child entered the park and the energetic not exasperated one started climbing around on the public art.
That was when I announced in my best (and loudest) ‘Joliet’ Jake impression-
“Come, come little girl. Sit in the lap of Baal.”
So those were my favorite mussels this summer, served in the classic manner and done to perfection though if you insist on Haute cuisine we also had a perfectly acceptable dish served with a shallot, garlic, and wine broth.
Oh, you want Science and Tech with that whine.
Ancient Cult Complex Discovered In Israel Dates Back 3,300 Years, May Be Temple Of Baal
By Dominique Mosbergen, HuffPo
10/15/2014 12:59 pm EDT
Archaeologists working in Israel have discovered an “ancient cult complex,” where people who lived thousands of years ago might have worshipped a Canaanite “storm god” known as Baal.
The complex was unearthed at the archaeological site of Tel Burna, located near the Israeli city of Kiryat Gat. It’s believed to date back 3,300 years.
Researchers said the site has already yielded artifacts that seem to confirm the complex’s cultic past. These include enormous jars that may have been used to store tithes, masks that might have been used in ceremonial processions, and burnt animal bones that hint at sacrificial rituals.
Itzhaq Shai, director of the Tel Burna Excavation Project, told Live Science that it wasn’t entirely clear which god the complex was dedicated to. But he called Baal — which ancient Middle Eastern cultures worshipped as a fertility god — the “most likely candidate.”
- Russian Hackers Reportedly Exploited Microsoft Windows Bug To Spy On NATO, Ukraine, Reuters, 10/14/2014 5:59 pm EDT
- Powerful quantum computers move a step closer to reality, Alex Hern, The Guardian, Tuesday 14 October 2014 10.43 EDT
- Lockheed announces breakthrough on nuclear fusion energy, Reuters, Wednesday 15 October 2014 11.57 EDT
- Smell Turns Up in Unexpected Places, By ALEX STONE, The New York Times, OCT. 13, 2014
- How to Make a Black Hole, Dennis Overbye, The New York Times, OCT. 8, 2014 (Autoplay)
- Giant kangaroo weighed 240kg, looked like a rabbit and walked like a human, Oliver Milman, The Guardian, Wednesday 15 October 2014 16.03 EDT
- Viking treasure trove discovered in Scotland, Libby Brooks, The Guardian, Tuesday 14 October 2014 14.27 EDT
- Chemical signal gives melanoma cancer cells a ‘green light’ to spread, Dr Nick Peel, The Guardian, Wednesday 15 October 2014 02.00 EDT
- Stem cell therapy success in treatment of sight loss from macular degeneration, Ian Sample, The Guardian, Tuesday 14 October 2014
- This Is Why We Love To Scare Ourselves Silly, By Macrina Cooper-White, HuffPo, 10/16/14
- NASA Braces For Comet’s Close Encounter With Mars, By Macrina Cooper-White, HuffPo, 10/13/2014 12:56 pm EDT
- Creepy ‘Vampire’ Grave Unearthed In Bulgaria, By Dominique Mosbergen, HuffPo, 10/13/2014 3:20 pm EDT
- Incredibly Rare ‘Beaked Whale’ Washes Ashore In Australia, By Macrina Cooper-White, HuffPo, 10/15/2014 2:59 pm EDT
- Lab-Grown Penises May Show Up Way Sooner Than You Thought, By Ryan Grenoble, HuffPo, 10/09/2014 12:59 pm EDT
- This Step-By-Step Guide Lets You Turn Your Phone Into A Cosmic Ray Detector, By Macrina Cooper-White, HuffPo, 10/11/2014 9:59 am EDT
The law that entropy always increases holds, I think, the supreme position among the laws of Nature. If someone points out to you that your pet theory of the universe is in disagreement with Maxwell’s equations – then so much the worse for Maxwell’s equations. If it is found to be contradicted by observation – well, these experimentalists do bungle things sometimes. But if your theory is found to be against the second law of thermodynamics I can give you no hope; there is nothing for it but to collapse in deepest humiliation.
-Sir Arthur Stanley Eddington, The Nature of the Physical World (1927)
Science Oriented Video!
Oblgatories, news, and blogs below.