Aigurande to Super-Besse Sancy 118 miles
Le. Tour. De. France.
Flaming chunks of twisted metal.
Bradley Wiggins is entirely out and Team Sky is in bad shape after his crash. Geraint Thomas forfeited the White (Young Rider) Jersey to fall back and assist Wiggins. Sportsmanship.
It split the Peloton and left only 80 riders in the zero delta (got the same time as the Stage winner, Mad Manx Cavendish) group including Hushovd, Gilbert, Frank and Andy, Evans, and Contador. Everyone else added about 3 minutes or more. Liepheimer of Radio Shack suffered additional indignity with a puncture and Horner finished dead last and barely at that. Broken nose and concussion, unlikely to start after overnight observation and a morning examination by the team physician.
After the carnage BruceMcF evaluates the GC this way–
Contador, the Schleck brothers, Cadel Evans, Kloden, David Millar, Vinokourov are all in a position where what matters is what will happen when they hit the high mountains, with Sammy Sanchez still looking to make up 2:35 on the highest placed GC contender
This Stage is rated Medium Mountain and the first place where we can expect race changing deltas.
They say you can’t win Le Tour in the first week, but you can sure lose it. We shall see what we shall see.
Vs. coverage starts at 8 am with your half hour of hype. I’ll be concentrating on Silverstone and later- napping.
- Jada Yuan Previews the Hell Out of the Tour de France in the New Yorker, 7/1/11 at 2:00 PM
- Le Tour 2011 official site
- Your The Stars Hollow Gazette Le Tour coverage tags-
Paul- Frank Schleck
Looks like a lovely day both there & here. Good day for some hills. They are pacing faster than expected, too
can have some bad consequences. Coming up to the finish in a drizzle
Leader is 22 sec ahead, going up hill
From the Guardian:
The top 10 in stage eight
1. Alberto Rui Costa (Mov) 4hr 36min 46sec
2. Philippe Gilbert (OLO) +12sec
3. Cadel Evans (BMC) +15sec
4. Samuel Sanchez (EUS) +15sec
5. Peter Velits (THR) +15sec
6. Dries Devenyns (QST) +15sec
7. Damiano Cunego (LAM) +15sec
8. Alberto Contador (SBS) +15sec
9. Andy Schleck (LEO) +15sec
10. Frank Schleck (LEO) +15sec
The top five on GC
1. Thor Hushovd (GRM) 33hr 06min 28sec
2. Cadel Evans (BMC) +1sec
3. Frank Schleck (LEO) +4sec
4. Andreas Kloden (RSH) +10sec
5. Jakob Fugslang (LEO) +12sec
Yellow: Thor Hushovd
Green: Philippe Gilbert
Red Polka Dot: Tejay Van Garderen
White: Robert Gesink
Team Yellow: Team Garmin (USA)